CHICOPEE, Mass. (AP) — Authorities say a Chicopee man who locked himself out of his home had be taken to the hospital after lighting a fire in his garage to stay warm.
Fire Capt. Mark Galarneau says the middle-aged man apparently misplaced his keys and took shelter in the garage early Thursday because he couldn’t get into the house.
He tells The Republican ( http://bit.ly/18EpdCl ) newspaper that when the temperature dropped, the man lit some paper products.
The ensuing smoke prompted the man to open the garage door and push the burning paper outside. A smoke alarm went off, and the fire department responded at about 3:30 a.m.
The fire was quickly extinguished and the man was taken to the hospital suffering from smoke inhalation. His injuries are not believed to be serious.
Information from: The Springfield (Mass.) Republican, http://www.masslive.com/news/